Chryst Field at Biemesderfer Stadium
Chryst Field at Biemesderfer Stadium, which is home to the Marauder football, field hockey, lacrosse and track and field teams, was completed as part of a major renovation to Biemesderfer Stadium in 2005. A modern synthetic turf surface (FieldTurf) and a new polyurethane eight-lane track and infield jump/vault areas (BSS-300 surface manufactured by Beynon Sports Surfaces, Inc.) were installed. The walkway in front of the main grandstand was resurfaced and a new fence was installed. In addition, the stadium light poles on a reconfigured north bank were raised. The home grandstand received new bleachers and permanent fencing was erected around the playing field in the summer of 2012.
Biemesderfer Stadium was originally constructed in 1958 with a capacity of 6,700. It was named in honor of Dr. Daniel Luke Biemesderfer, who served as Millersville's ninth president from 1943 to 1965. Chryst Field was named after J. Freeland Chryst '50 following a gift that was made on behalf of his daughter, Dana Chryst '81 and the Jay Group. The formal dedication of Chryst Field took place on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2005.
The first intercollegiate contest held on the new Chryst Field was a 1-1, double-overtime draw between the Millersville and Mansfield women's soccer teams on August 31, 2005. Following the women's game, the men's soccer team took to the field and won their game, 1-0, against Goldey-Beacom.
Leading up to these debut games, construction on the field began in early April 2005. Excavators from The Clark Companies, general contractor for the Biemesderfer Stadium/Field renovation project, removed the old grass football field and SprintTurf track surface to make way for the new synthetic turf. The baseball dugouts at Biemesderfer Field were razed and the backstop was removed, the stadium light poles on the north bank were taken down and the foundations were excavated. The entire Biemesderfer Field grass surface (former baseball and soccer field) was excavated north of the stadium. Approximately 100 feet of the north bank was removed to allow for the stadium turf and track expansion.
A modern synthetic turf surface (FieldTurf) and a new polyurethane eight-lane track and infield jump/vault areas (BSS-300 surface manufactured by Beynon Sports Surfaces, Inc.) were then installed. The FieldTurf synthetic grass surface is 2 1/2" tall, with a one-inch combined infill base of cryogenic rubberized pellets and silica sand added to provide stability, comfort, and proper traction. A new steeplechase pit at the west end of the track was installed. The walkway in front of the main grandstand was resurfaced and a new fence was installed. In addition, the stadium light poles on the reconfigured north bank were raised.
In July, construction included the installation of the surfaces for the 400-meter regulation-size track, the D-areas at both ends of the stadium (to be used for high jump and pole vault competition), and the high/triple jump, javelin, shot put, and discus/hammer venues on the upper field. The new Series 5000 football & track scoreboard, manufactured by Daktronics, Inc., was installed the week of August 21. Permanent grandstand seating on the north bank (visitors' side) was installed in late September. Finally, turf and track and field markings were set, and the field was ready for the Marauders debut.
Prior to the addition of Chryst Field in 2005, Biemesderfer Stadium had a natural grass surface. When it was built in 1958, the permanent stands (4,300 seating capacity) were erected at a cost of $450,000 and the stadium was used for the first time in the fall of 1970. In 1988, a special 176-seat reserved section was installed in front of the press box. An additional 2,200 spectators were able to be accomodated in temporary stands on the opposite side and the grassy hillside provides additional seating for overflow crowds.
In January 1985, a $117,000 lighting system was installed allowing night events to be held. In 1987, a $190,000 Sprintrax all-weather surface was placed on the six-lane, 400-meter track, creating one of the Commonwealth's finest track and field facilities. Also included are regulation-size jumping and vaulting areas.
Located in the stadium complex beneath the permanent stands are the Marauder and visiting team football locker rooms, and fully-equipped training and equipment facilities. Two concession stands and handicapped-accessible rest rooms are also there. A special lift for physically-challenged patrons has been installed.
Directions to Chryst Field at Biemsderfer Stadium
From the East:
From the West:
The summer of 2014 saw renovations to Pucillo field. Field Turf was installed in place of the natural grass surface. This facility is now the competition site for the Millersville Men's and Women's Soccer teams as well as a practice field for the Millersville Football program.